Strength Training: Planning The Training Block – Part 2 - Complementary Training

Strength Training: Planning The Training Block – Part 2

Welcome to Complementary Training Community! Forums Complementary Training Blog Posts and Articles Strength Training: Planning The Training Block – Part 2

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by mm Mladen Jovanovic 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • mm
    09/01/2018 at 04:27 #21602

In my opinion, there are two things that are important when it comes to set and rep schemes: modifications and classification (or types). Let’s cover each concept separately.

[See the full post at: Strength Training: Planning The Training Block – Part 2]

16/01/2018 at 19:10 #21675

Great article Mladen. Enjoying the series and can’t wait for the book

mm
    01/02/2018 at 20:52 #21924

Thanks Gregg, really appreciate the feedback. Might take a while for the book, but I will publish everything as I go. Once this is done, then the editor will have really hard time trimming down 🙂

03/02/2018 at 12:09 #21939

Are there any specific blog posts you’d recommend to read to learn about a hypertrophy phase?

Im interested in learning about having athletes perform a hypertrophy phase before doing their strength phase. In fact Im going to try it myself to see what it’s like so I can at least get an idea of what the athletes are going through.

Also interested to learn more about what kind of volume is needed to build strength after the hypertrophy phase and then how can the athlete maintain this whilst training other qualities for their sport.

mm
    12/02/2018 at 19:42 #22039

I do not think there is anything special in ‘phase potentiation’, e.g. hypertrophy block followed by strength block, besides variation, especially when you repeat this sequence multiple times in a year (there might be ‘phase potentiation’ with a single cycle, but when you repeat it the effects do not tend to be ‘potentiated’ [I do need a reference for this but it seems that recent paper by James et al. kinda supports this: onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/sms.13045/pdf but I do need to dig deeper]

When it comes to hypertrophy for athletes, I would stick to that Prilepin table for hypertrophy. Research recommends (someone correct me if I am wrong) 2-3x per week per body part, 30-50 reps per set and around 65-75% 1RM, but again I think it is more about the calories and food than some magic volume number. But these are rules of thumb. You can always experiment for few weeks and see if they are gaining.

Another strategy might be to give high volume session as a last in the week with 2 days of refeed after it (e.g. on Friday night, with Sat and Sun off). Then you can really ramp it up.

Hope this helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.