Force-Velocity Profiling and Training Optimization Course:
MODULE 2: Theory – Part 3
What we are interested in once we have Force-Velocity profile is, which will yield better improvements in bodyweight squat jump height – increasing high force-low velocity capabilities (i.e. F0), or low force-high velocity capabilities (i.e. V0)? In this video, I am explaining the theoretical underpinnings of this optimization question given the squat jump model we have introduced. I am also explaining a few issues I have with this optimization model and what I think coaches should know when giving this model predictive or causal interpretation.
So far, there have been two studies implementing this optimization model to training (see Jiménez-Reyes et al. in the references) with favorable results. Underneath the video, you can find some of my thought regarding the study design.
Overall, besides explaining the optimization model, this video will also introduce philosophical issues I have with this model (i.e. assuming ontological realism perspective when utilizing this model).
- Jiménez-Reyes P, Samozino P, Brughelli M, Morin J-B. 2017. Effectiveness of an Individualized Training Based on Force-Velocity Profiling during Jumping. Frontiers in Physiology 7. DOI: 10.3389/fphys.2016.00677.
- Jiménez-Reyes P, Samozino P, Morin J-B. 2019. Optimized training for jumping performance using the force-velocity imbalance: Individual adaptation kinetics. PLOS ONE 14:e0216681. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0216681.
- Jovanović M. 2020. vjsim: Vertical jump simulator. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3740291.
- Samozino P. 2018a. A Simple Method for Measuring Lower Limb Force, Velocity and Power Capabilities During Jumping. In: Morin J-B,
- Samozino P eds. Biomechanics of Training and Testing. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 65–96. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-05633-34.
- Samozino P. 2018b. Optimal Force-Velocity Profile in Ballistic Push-off: Measurement and Relationship with Performance. In: Morin J-B,
- Samozino P eds. Biomechanics of Training and Testing. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 97–119. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-05633-35.
- Samozino P, Morin J-B, Hintzy F, Belli A. 2008. A simple method for measuring force, velocity and power output during squat jump. Journal of Biomechanics 41:2940–2945. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2008.07.028.
- Samozino P, Morin J-B, Hintzy F, Belli A. 2010. Jumping ability: A theoretical integrative approach. Journal of Theoretical Biology 264:11–18. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtbi.2010.01.021.
- Samozino P, Rejc E, Di Prampero PE, Belli A, Morin J-B. 2012. Optimal Force–Velocity Profile in Ballistic Movements—Altius: Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 44:313–322. DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e31822d757a.